A Motorsport Enthusiast's Dream. A Unique Charity Fundraising Event
This expanded follow-up to Race the Base 2010 is guaranteed to thrill competitors and spectators alike. As a unique and spectacular "speed" event, it is guaranteed to attract local and international media attention. The central goal for the 2012 Race the Base event is to reach out to Canadians for the purpose of raising awareness of the Canadian Forces (CF) and its mission, personnel and equipment. The secondary goal of this event is to support the 4 Wing Morale and Welfare Fund and to raise funds for select charities including the Canadian Forces' Soldier On Program, the Cold Lake Food Bank and Hearts for Healthcare Cold Lake. For you, the participant, this event presents an ideal opportunity to support charity while generating increased national and international publicity for your vehicle sponsors or your own business. We encourage you to consider this once-in-a-lifetime, amateur world-class motorsports event.
The Event Format
New for 2012 is a multi-event format with five classes and a points-chase format. The over-all class champions will receive special trophies and special prize packages tbd. Individual event champions will receive commemorative awards. Event results, vehicle type and driver names will be published internationally. New this year is an exciting side by side competitor format in the standing mile and solo road course events.
Three Main Events: Known as the Race the Base Points Chase Events
Competitors will get at least two opportunities to participate in each event. Competitors will accumulate event point scores on a relative basis for their class, determined at the end of scheduled competiton. Using a weighted formula of 30% for the standing mile, 30% for the ultimate top speed challenge, and 40% for the road course challenge, we will determine the overall class champions. Note: Final points system. (TBD)
- Side by Side Standing Mile - With recorded elapsed time and top speed - 2 runs minimum including Friday's practise run. Any bonus runs after your second run, (time permitting) will not count towards your points total.
- Individual Ultimate Top Speed Attempt - An individual two (2) mile acceleration run with recorded elapsed time and top speed - 2 runs minimum including Friday's practise run. Any bonus runs after your second run (time permitting) will not count towards your points total.
- Solo Road Course Competition - A timed solo run on a challenging road course, run on either of two equal but different courses against the clock and simultaneously run against another competitor. Competitor selection may be based on similar class entries or random selection. (TBD) Competitors will get at least one run on each course layout,including Friday's practise run. Any bonus runs after your second run (time permitting) will not count towards your points total.
Optional Events: These are Elective Entertainment Challenges
All competitors are encouraged to participate in the (2) two elective entertainment challenges. A crowd favourite will be selected from each entertainment challenge. Crowd response and a judging panel will determine the individual class winners.
- Wet Drift Challenge - A 200-250 foot diameter circle set-up for demonstration of car control using the principle of counter steer.A water truck will keep the pavement wetted down for minimal wear and tear on tires and vehicles. Each competitor is allowed 3 minutes per session to link together their best 2 laps. Vehicles that cannot remain within the course area during an attempt will be disqualified from that attempt. Each competitor will get at least two attempts, including Friday's practise run. Note: subject to time scheduling.
- Freestyle Donut Contest - Held near the end of the day, this is a self-explanatory crowd favourite. Each competitor will have 30 seconds - one minute (TBD) to pull off the maximum number of rotations or put on the best show. Competitors that cannot keep their vehicles within the course area will be disqualified from that attempt. Each competitor will get at least two attempts, including Friday's practise run. Note: subject to time scheduling.